sex determination in plants

mmphillips at mmphillips at
Wed Nov 8 14:51:34 EST 2000

From: Martha M. Phillips at CSC on 11/08/2000 01:51 PM

To:   plant-ed at
Subject:  sex determination in plants

Dear Plant-edders,

I have a student doing a paper on sex determination in plants and I don't know
much about the topic (just what is in the general textbooks).  I'm wondering if
you can point me towards good sources and maybe answer a question or two.

Is the sex of a dioecious plant determined largely by genes, environment, both?

If genes, is it the sperm that determine sex or egg?

I know that ethylene and gibberellin are involved in sex expression on
monoecious plants -- Are the mechanisms in any way similar in dioecious?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Martha M. Phillips, Ph.D

Biology Department

The College of St. Catherine