data analysis software for classes

Jon Monroe monroejd at
Wed Oct 4 10:34:30 EST 2000

Hi all,

In undergraduate labs we often want students to collect, analyze and
think about data.  In reality they often spend a lot of time just
figuring out how to use the software (e.g. Excel is powerful but
there is a steep learning curve).

Can anyone recommend a software package with spreadsheet, statistics
and graphing capabilities that is easy to learn and use in an
undergraduate laboratory setting?  I'll post the responses.

  Jonathan D. Monroe           	    Associate Professor
  Department of Biology, MSC 7801   office: 540-568-6649
  James Madison University	      fax: 540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807   	email: monroejd at