viewing cells

Scott Shumway Scott_Shumway at wheatonma.edu
Fri Oct 6 07:41:59 EST 2000

On yesterday's botany field trip I found some Eriocaulon (pipewort) and
confirmed my hunch that what I was seeing on the lower leaf blades were
indeed giant cells.  They are clearly visible with the naked eye and even
more spectacular when viewed with a 10x hand lens.

For some reason these plants tend to become uprooted and can be found
floating on the surface of the water.

For those of you unfamiliar with Eriocaulon, it can be found in ponds with
all but the small white pin cushion-like inflorescence submerged.  I have
also been told that it is an indicator species for clean water.  Can anyone
confirm this story?

Scott Shumway
Associate Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biology