More on Inquiry, Sci Method

Gary Cote gcote at radford.edu
Mon Apr 23 14:05:57 EST 2001

Thomas Björkman asked,
So how does one get kids to believe that their observations make better
science projects than any of the facts in their textbooks?

I've lately been thinking about inquiry and student thought processes.  The
real question, it seems to me, is how do we get the students to organize
observations and questions in terms of "What does it mean?  What's going
on?  How do I figure it out?"  instead of organizing in terms of "What does
the professor want me to observe and ask?"

Dr. Gary Coté
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
Box 6931