Compositae vs. Asteraceae ??

Donna I. Ford-Werntz diford at wvnvm.wvnet.edu
Tue Aug 7 16:07:43 EST 2001

I'm with Bryan on this one (as I previously replied privately with the same
answer).  The Asteraceae/Compositae duality is one of eight families that
qualify under the Principle IV exclusion "except in specified cases."
However, it is true that in many cases the older name is falling into
disuse.  One that will be long-standing I believe is Palmae rather than
Arecaceae (vs. Ericaceae).

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.

Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057

Assoc. Prof. Biol.       Morgantown, WV 26506

425 Brooks Hall          (304)293-5201 X2549

email: diford at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363

Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/