spectrophotometer opinions

Carl Pike c_pike at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Wed Aug 8 08:34:14 EST 2001

I'm considering purchasing the Genesys 8 UV-VIS spectrophotometer
(Spectronics) for an advanced undergraduate biochemistry/biology
teaching lab, and was hoping that some of you could give me an
opinion on its utility and dependability.  An important segment of
the lab will be temperature-dependence of enzyme kinetics, and
derivation of Km and kcat.  Thus a spec with a water-jacketed cell
holder (or other temperature control) is necessary.

If any of you have experience with the Genesys 8, or a comparable
model, I would appreciate any recommendations (or warnings) you might
have.  Thanks.  Apologies for cross-posting.
--
Carl S. Pike
Harry W. and Mary B. Huffnagle Professor of Botany