Compositae vs. Asteraceae ??

Jensen, Douglas douglas.jensen at converse.edu
Wed Aug 8 10:51:31 EST 2001

As I understand it, the code allows 8 of the old descriptive family names to
be used as fully acceptable alternatives to their modern synonyms.

Compositae=Asteraceae
Leguminosae=Fabaceae
Graminae=Poaceae
Palmae=Arecaceae (Although the pronounciation is similar to Ericaceae, the
families are very different.  Nevertheless, pronounciation is not
nomenclaturally specified)
Labiatae=Lamiaceae
Cruciferae=Brassicaceae
Umbelliferae=Apiaceae
Guttiferae=Hypericaceae/Clusiaceae (I don't know if anyone uses this
anymore)

These are some of the most readily recognisable families in the world, they
are very large, and their descriptive names point out the specific traits
that many people use to identify them on sight.  I teach both names to my
students, because both are useful.

--Doug