Compositae vs. Asteraceae ??

Staria Vanderpool svand at
Wed Aug 8 12:29:03 EST 2001

As taxonomic literature contains both sets of names it is essential to
acquaint plant taxonomy students with the alternative names for these
families.  When they search the literature for specific groups they will
encounter references using the modern and the traditional names for these
significant families.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-plant-ed at
[mailto:owner-plant-ed at]On Behalf Of "Jensen, Douglas"
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 10:52 AM
To: plant-ed at
Subject: RE: Compositae vs. Asteraceae ??

As I understand it, the code allows 8 of the old descriptive family names to
be used as fully acceptable alternatives to their modern synonyms.

Palmae=Arecaceae (Although the pronounciation is similar to Ericaceae, the
families are very different.  Nevertheless, pronounciation is not
nomenclaturally specified)
Guttiferae=Hypericaceae/Clusiaceae (I don't know if anyone uses this

These are some of the most readily recognisable families in the world, they
are very large, and their descriptive names point out the specific traits
that many people use to identify them on sight.  I teach both names to my
students, because both are useful.