Physiology of Stem "Ripening" pre rooting of cuttings

Bernard Brennan brennanb at eircom.net
Mon Aug 20 04:31:15 EST 2001

I am currently researching the literature relating to processes that
take place in woody stems as new growth firms up following a flush of
growth.  Currently my level of understanding is as follows,
i) New growth of cells stage one, all cells parenchyma in nature
ii) Thickening of some cells in stem i.e. formation of collenchyma cells
resulting from lay down of some secondary cell wall polysaccharides, all
stem support due to turgor pressure
iii) Lignification of cell walls in a range of tissues, yielding
structural support.

>From experience I know that woody cuttings do not root readily if at all
until they have passed through the "rubbery feel" stage to a firmer
stage.  My question is does this "ripening" equate with formation of
adequate lignin needed to support stem tissues and so complete a stage
of the vegetative tisues growth phase?.
Also is collenchyma cell production a stage in the production of
lignified cell in woody plants?. comments appreciated
B. Brennan