Population Genetics Software

Barry Meatyard B.T.Meatyard at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 06:02:00 EST 2001

Dear Plant-Edders,

Can anyone recommend a population genetics package suitable for undergrad
teaching that will run on a Windows network?

I've just discovered my old package (a DOS based program which was very
good) won't run on our new network, and the software company responsible
(below) is not planning an upgrade.

I would like to be able to investigate the behaviour of alleles in
populations, particularly with respect to:

selection vs. no selection
varying the size of populations to investigate different rates of drift
quantifying gene frequency so that, for example, the Hardy Weinberg formula
can be used.

Ideally I'd like the programme to include sufficient graphical capacity to
enable students to observe the effect of changes in gene frequency on the
morphology of 'biomorphs'. (Don't students just love pictures?)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

For the record the programs I've used in the past are The Blind Watchmaker
and Survival of the Fittest. BW is in essence the program of the Dawkin's
book and is fun to use but nowhere near as instructive as S of the F.
Unfortunately BW is being upgraded but not S of the F.

They are available from SPA (Software Production Associates), PO Box 59,
Tewkesbury, GL20 6AB, UK. Fax 44 (0) 1684 833718

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Barry

Dr.Barry Meatyard
Book Review Editor, Biological Conservation

Environmental Sciences Research and Education Unit
Warwick Institute of Education
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL