ecophys labs

John E. Silvius SILVIUSJ at
Mon Feb 5 17:38:05 EST 2001

>>> Scott Shumway <Scott_Shumway at> 02/05/01
10:46AM >>>
I am teaching a course on plant ecology this semester and would
suggestions for lab exercises, particularly on water relations (using
pressure chamber) and photosynthesis (using an IRGA).   Thanks.

I have not used a pressure chamber since my days with the USDA but I
would assume you could take it into the field when early spring flora
emerge and do some comparisons with microclimate differences such as
solar flux (e.g. measure PPFD to locate some different locations of
varying afternoon solar flux; or soil moisture), or diurnal variations
on the same plant assuming your leaf removal will be a small
percentage of the plant leaf area.

We have sufficient growing area under high PPFD that we can produce
variations in water status to measure with an IRGA and measure
transpiration at the same time to get an indication of stomatal
resistance, etc.

Best regards,

John Silvius
Professor of Biology