plants that form aerial roots

N. Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Wed Feb 7 12:05:18 EST 2001

On 5 Feb 2001 22:44:44 -0000, bworkmas at students.wisc.edu (Beth Ann
Workmaster) wrote:

Try tomatoes - they form adventitious roots very readily. Also,
we were surprised to find that the common houseplant
Ficus benjamina also forms adventitious roots, although a
bit more slowly than the tomato. Although we didn't include a
true root mass with the Ficus, a cutting in a flask of water has
developed adventitious roots. I mention this because this
plant is so readily available in nurseries and dept store garden
sections. - NH

>I am teaching a course called the Environment of Horticultural
>Plants, and I am interested in doing a demonstration on flooding
>stress and tolerance.  Would anybody know of some plants which form
>aerial roots when under flooding stress?  I had been under the
>impression (wrongly, I think) that common bean does this, but can not
>find any information on this.  Any help would be appreciated!
>
>--
>Beth Ann Workmaster
>Lecturer/Graduate Research Assistant
>Dept. of Horticulture
>UW-Madison
>1575 Linden Dr.
>Madison, WI  53706
>Email:  bworkmas at students.wisc.edu
>Phone:  608-262-5350
>Fax:  608-262-4743
>

>---

Nancy Harrison
T.A.Botany at Santa Rosa Jr.College
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
Milo Baker Chapter, California Native Plant Society
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html