ABT article

Bill Purves purves at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Fri Feb 16 10:49:57 EST 2001

Jon Monroe sent me the following this morning and asked me to
forward it to plant-ed for him:

>I think I essentially agree with Bill's response to Jim, but I can't
>help but think that a lot of learning happens through hands, not
>eyes.  I think that drawing a structure has more to do with being
>able to remember it than it does with rendering it accurately for
>later use - electronic gadgets can obviously do a better job of that.
>That said, drawing lots of images of dead plants doesn't turn on very
>many students so technology has its good side!
>
>Jon
>

>>Jim Perry suggested:
>>
>>>So my thoughts are, what about if they were able to take a digital picture
>>>of THEIR slide or specimen, print it (color = $) and then label it, and
>>>describe in writing what the differences are between what they have seen and
>>>what's in their book?
>>>
>>>Do you think this would cause them to look more closely at their own
>>>specimens
>>
>>Yes
>>Especially if they take just a bit of care to make sure that the
>>photo image adequately represents what they see under the microscope
>>or in the lab or field.
>>
>>>and would it increase the learning experience?
>>
>>YES
>>
>>>They like technology, so would this play into our hands without
>>>them realizing it?
>>
>>YES!
>>
>>Nondogmatically yours,
>>
>>(bill)
>>
>>p.s. Seriously--this strikes me as something very well worth
>>trying.  You've indicated flaws in what was being done before,
>>and you've come up with something very promising.  And,
>>thinking of $, you'll surely have other good uses for that
>>digital camera...

>  Jonathan D. Monroe           	    Associate Professor
>  Department of Biology, MSC 7801   office: 540-568-6649
>  James Madison University	      fax: 540-568-3333
>  Harrisonburg, VA 22807   	email: monroejd at jmu.edu
>     http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html

William K. Purves      Vice President/Editorial Director
The Mona Group LLC                     West Coast Office
2817 N. Mountain Avenue              phone: 909.626.4859
Claremont, CA 91711-1550               fax: 909.626.7030
              e-mail: purves at monagroup.com
  http://www.biology.hmc.edu/people/faculty/purves.html
                http://www.monagroup.com