Web-based examinations

Robinson, Dr. David drobinson at bellarmine.edu
Fri Feb 16 16:27:13 EST 2001

The way I use PowerPoint on exams is to put together a short presentation
(no more than 10 slides or so), and put a letter, in large font, on the
right side of each slide (A > G for instance) and then add a digital
photograph that I have copied & pasted from the WWW, or took with my digital
camera. Then I add questions on their written exam about each of the
photos.....questions like:

SLIDE A)  Is this a pinnately- or a palmately-compound leaf?

SLIDE B)  What biome is represented here?

SLIDE C)  Do you think this is a monocot or a dicot?

SLIDE D)  Is this epigeous emergence or is hypgeous emergence?

SLIDE E)  How many years old is the plant this cross-section is
from?

SLIDE F)  Is this micrograph a cross-section of a root or of a stem?

SLIDE G)  Do you think this photograph (of a leaf) is from a C3 plant or
from a C4 plant? etc....

Not to say that my questions are multiple choice like this because they are
often short-answer....and I am much more careful in my wording... (I am just
giving some examples of what I show them)....

I still ask traditional exam questions in addition to the Powerpoint
questions. I time the PowerPoint presentation so that each photo shows on
the screen for about 10 seconds and I make it loop around continually during
the entire exam period, so they have lots of time to study them.

I like testing on photographs like this because it challenges students to be
able to recognize "real world" situations, rather than being asked to only
write-out descriptions of things like biomes, Krantz anatomy, epigeous
germination, etc. Young people these days are very visual, and it seems like
they adapt to this type of testing pretty well.

Dave Robinson, Bellarmine University.