photosynthesis lab

Fisher, Roxanne RFisher at
Wed Jan 17 16:40:18 EST 2001

Dear Plant-ed folks:

I want to do a photosynthesis lab with isolated thylakoid membranes for my
Plant Physiology class.  I'm thinking of  something like the lab in
"Experiments in Plant Physiology" by Carol Reiss.  Her protocol calls for
spinning the crushed and processed spinach at 1900 g to pellet the
thylakoids.  At Chatham we only have a small centrifuge that goes to
2500rpm.  Will spinning in this centrifuge be strong enough to pellet the
thylakoids?  We do have microfuges that are fast enough but I'd like to
avoid dividing the sample up into tiny aliquots if possible.

Roxanne H. Fisher                                  rfisher at
Assistant Professor of Biology                  phone (412)365-1893
Chatham College                                     fax (412)365-1505
Woodland Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15232