looking for information on salt damage to plants

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 22 13:45:32 EST 2001

>> Hi Folks,
>	I teach an introductory environmental science class at Middlebury
>College.  This spring, we will be doing a study of the effects of deicers
>(including rock salt, and the newer product, "Ice Ban" that the campus is
>using) on plants.  I am searching for information and photos/diagrams that
>relate to the physiological effects of salt on plants, visible signs of salt
>damage to plants, etc.  Do any of you folks have information, photos, or
>ideas of where to look?  Thanks.
>> Mary Gaudette
>> Environmental Studies Program
>> Bicentennial Hall 413
>> Middlebury College
>> Middlebury, VT 05753
>> (802) 443-2555
>	mgaudett at middlebury.edu
To see salt injury to roadside trees (spruce) go to

For a summary of the effects of several kinds of deicers on a variety of
plants go to

David W. Kramer, Chair
Education Committee
Botanical Society of America

Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu