hydrotropism

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Wed Jan 24 22:12:32 EST 2001

  Hydrotropism fell into disrepute for a long time, but it is
back.  Recent studies have shown that water inhibits the growth on one
side of the root, hence the side with more water has less growth than the
side with less water.  This causes a curvature toward the water.  I have
not read the article, and I think it was either this listserve or biolab
where I read about the phenomenon.  It makes sense, since water would
reduce the availability of oxygen, thus reducing respiration and release
of ATP, and subsequently reduce growth.  Hopefully someone on the list can
provide us with a reference.
Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences