hydrotropism

David Hershey dh321 at MailAndNews.com
Sun Jan 28 02:22:33 EST 2001

The recent research on hydrotropism that I have seen has been done with
roots
grown in humid air rather than in soil, thus "in humid air" must become a
part
of the modern definition of hydrotropism. Even at close to the soil
permanent
wilting point of -1.5 MegaPascals water potential, the soil relative
humidity
is about 99%. Based on the humid air hydrotropism research, it seems that
there would not be a large enough relative humidity gradient in soil to
induce
a hydrotropic response. Therefore, hydrotropism seems more of a laboratory
phenomenon rather than one important under natural conditions. It may have
application in microgravity conditions of outer space.

I wrote an article examining some of the classic precollege teaching
experiments on hydrotropism:

Hershey, D.R. 1992. Is hydrotropism all wet? Science Activities 29(2):20-24.