smoke thru wood?

Janice M. Glime jmglime at
Thu Jul 19 23:29:00 EST 2001

Dear David and plant-edders,
  I don't know about blowing smoke, but you can blow air through both oak
and pine.  We hook ours up to the air system in the lab using rubber
tubing, but it can be done by just blowing through it.  The air system is
more sanitary and you don't need so many twigs.  You have to adjust it
carefully so the air pressure is not too strong and blows the branch off.
Place the free end in water and watch the bubbles.  It makes a nice
comparison between the oak and pine if you can adjust the air the same

 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University
 Houghton, MI 49931-1295