Plant taxonomy/flora course

Christine Maxwell cmaxwell at
Sun Mar 4 09:18:40 EST 2001

Dear Plant-edders,

I have been asked to put on a third year, one semester course for botany
students(who will have had one full year of  general botany), which
covers some basic plant taxonomy as well as the flora of Ontario.  I
recognize that this course could be valuable for the students so I have
agreed to put it on.  I am neither a plant taxonomist nor a field it will be a challenge!

I am looking for advice from anyone who teaches such a course, and also
looking for text suggestions. Two books I have thought of
Vascular Plant Families, by Jayne Smith and Common Fowering Plant
Families by Hickey.

Anyone any other suggestions?