On the scientific method

Grant R. Cramer cramer at med.unr.edu
Sat Mar 24 18:24:27 EST 2001

I agree that statistical analysis might be difficult, however there is no
reason that they can't be exposed to the concept. That they understand there
is variation and must replicate their experiments. They could start with
comparing a mean with at least three replicates. My daughter did this on her
scientific project in 4th grade (just about the only project that in her
entire elementary school that even had replicates). Sure it was I that was
suggested it. She has got to learn it somewhere and it might as well be me.
Next year we will do a similar analysis. At some point I will ask her "How
do you know the two means are really different from each other?" and at that
point I will gradually introduce the subject of statistics. Will she
completely understand it? I doubt it, but it will be less foreign the next
time she is exposed to it, and eventually she will get it. At what age? We
will have to see. But I think by the time high school comes around she will
get it. I think if we introduce this early our kids would be able to
critically think and evaluate things much earlier (perhaps by the time they
come to college?).

--
Grant R. Cramer
Associate Professor