Private, not Secret!

TJ t-jacobs at life.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 26 16:31:57 EST 2001

OK OK.  Attenborough's "Private Life of Plants" gets two thumbs up all
around, but someone else's "Secret Life of Plants" gets only one thumb
up and only as a source for *negative* examples of "science".  Sorry to
have caused any the confusion by my mistaking "Secret" for "Private".

Whew.  For a while there I actually thought that all that awesome
timelapse magic Attenborough's crew concocted was obscuring some
misinformational nonsense to which I shouldn't be exposing my students.

I do agree however that, despite their overall aesthetic, enthusiasm and
WOW value, it's hard to pick clips from Attenborough's videos for an
intro botany class.  I love and use the xylem transport animation and
the timelapse of arctic poppies phototroping (although this year I may
use Roger Hangarter's Quicktime movies -- see his website at Indiana U),
but nothing beyond those from Attenborough has entered my standard Plant
Bio 100 repertoire. Still, I'm always thinking that if I just view them
again I'd certainly find more....

TJ