Request for help

sjohnson at mtsu.edu sjohnson at mtsu.edu
Fri May 4 08:26:14 EST 2001

david.

i abhor the loss of plant biology classes, but equally the loss of
zoology classes. biologists today are to centered on reductionism
to realize that it may be at the basis for some loss of majors. the
work of anton lawson (az state u) and other biology educators
indicates that the majority of entering college freshmen do not use
abstract thinking. (i was stunned to learn this, but several papers
on the topic have convinced me.) lawson's work focuses on
strategies for raising students to a level of formal operational
thought. we biologists, on the other hand, are requiring students to
focus primarily on abstract concepts without providing the
advanced organizers in organismal biology (which is familiar and
relevant to most students & to most folks generally!). this is not
good planning or good thinking. i have heard other ecologists
bemoan that our work is ignored by policy makers as they
construct environmental policy. and yet, we're blind to doing the
same thing by disregarding the work of educators who have
analyzed the problem.

i don't know what to do about it. i'm writing from a department
which, in fall 02, will also ditch plant biol - going to a general
organismal and a cell course for our prerequs. i fear that the
general organismal will typically be bereft of plant knowledge.

sandra
Sandra L. Johnson, Ph.D.
Plant Physiological Ecologist
Middle Tennessee State University