Removing Botany from Core Curriculum

Catharina Coenen ccoenen at allegheny.edu
Mon May 14 10:38:18 EST 2001

Hello,

integrative biology core sequence:

Allegheny College restructured its introductory biology sequence in the way
you describe two years ago.  We now teach two "theme-based" introductory
lecture courses: "Organismal Physiology & Ecology", which is organized
around four themes (energy, water, reproduction, defense), and "Genetics,
Development & Evolution", which has "genes" as its central theme.  Both
courses are team-taught (120 students & 3 instructors) and have smaller
recitation sections associated with them (20 students), but no labs.  The
third introductory course "Investigative Approaches in Biology" is purely
lab-based and emphasizes writing, speaking, and science as a process.  This
course is also team-taught by three instructors:  groups of 20 students
rotate through three modules (ecology, physiology, and cell/molecular biology).

After two years we can say that the investigative lab course is a great
success, the "Genetics" course seems to work well, and the
"Physiology/Ecology" course (which is the only place where plants are
formally covered) is struggling.

Reasons for the struggles in this latter course are that (1) it is
overburdened with content material, (2) students see the format of the
course (discussing themes as they relate to multiple organisms) as
disjointed (in part because there is no textbook on the market that
supports this approach), and (3) our mostly pre-med student population
continues to "hate plants".  As the only plant biologist at Allegheny, I
take turns with our only microbiologist in teaching the plant and microbe
parts of the course.  Both of us feel that most students continually
measure our material against the "more useful" animal information (which
will appear on the MCATs), and that this does nothing to improve student
attitude towards plants.

I wonder if our problem is that we still continue to separate organisms
from each other -- except that we are now doing it "by instructor" instead
of "by course" as in the traditional approach.  I believe that this
approach can work and that it is in fact a much more exciting and fun way
to teach biology, but that it requires more than any of us have been
trained for:  We may have to _become_ "Integrative Biologists" first (and
perhaps even write a textbook accordingly) before we can expect our
students to follow us comfortably down that path.  I think it can be done
successfully, but that it requires a faculty who is willing to grow
together as a team and throw out a lot of old lecture notes, rather than
trying to force old materials into a new format.

On a happier note, anyone interested in our investigative lab course is
welcome to visit the website for the "Cell/Molecular Biology Module" that I
teach on plant peroxidases
(http://webpub.alleg.edu/employee/c/ccoenen/courses/Bio290/Bio290.html).
The site has the general class syllabus as well as protocols for my
particular lab, other supporting material, and links to related
sites.  Student evaluations of this module have been extremely positive
throughout.  (About 10% of these very positive evaluations continue to end
in "but I still hate plants" -- It seems that I'm going to have to live
with this fraction of students just as they will have to live with me.).

Catharina

Dr. Catharina Coenen
Biology Department			phone: (814) 332-2703
Allegheny College			FAX:	(814) 332-2789
Meadville, PA 16335			e-mail: ccoenen at allegheny.edu
USA					http://webpub.allegheny.edu/employee/c/ccoenen/
Spring '01 Office Hours:                   M 10-11 am , W 10-11 am & 2-4
pm, Fr 10-12 noon