Request for help

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Tue May 15 08:51:58 EST 2001

David Hershey wrote:

> It would be necessary to see detailed course
> outlines to determine if sufficient plant content is included.

I understand your concern, but what would prevent those who value
content in their particular area from rejecting a proposed course?  I'm
not suggesting that content isn't important - it is essential - but we
can't keep pouring all of the facts we know into the heads of first year
students.  The volume of facts keeps going up and most students are not receptive.

To make a change work I think the faculty as a whole have to agree ahead
of time on the content that will be covered in the intro courses and how
(generally) it will be covered before the courses are developed.  If
plant biologists (or any other minority) are involved in the process at
all stages the final outcome shouldn't necessarily be bad for them.

Jon

 Jonathan D. Monroe                 Associate Professor
 Department of Biology, MSC 7801   office: 540-568-6649
 James Madison University             fax: 540-568-3333
 Harrisonburg, VA 22807         email: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html