summary of science ed materials for grades 6-12

Fisher, Roxanne RFisher at
Mon May 21 12:35:18 EST 2001

Thanks to everyone who answered my request for science education materials
for grades 6-12.  I also posted this to the Council for Undergraduate
Research newsgroup so I apologize if you get two of these messages.

Science materials for grades 6-12

The National Gardening Assocation publishes a book called
"Growlab: Activities for Growing Minds", geared for K-8.  I"ve used
it for 7 years in a week-long "Plants in the Classroom" workshop
for teachers...and that tough audience gives it high marks.

The organizaitions web address is

Linda Heath
Biology Department
Xavier Universtiy
Cincinnati, OH  452-704331

We have a course web site for "chemistry in the classroom" (a college
course for pre-service teachers) that has some useful links:

Kimberley Cousins
Associate Professor of Chemistry
California State University, San Bernardino
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA  92407

kcousins at

Tell her to go to the Eisenhower Science Website...just do a "google" on
eisenhower science.  Lots of good stuff.

Check the Am Soc Microbiology web site (, especially
"Microbe" section under "For the Public."  It has information and a section
simple experiments that might be useful.

The following two web sites are really good.
David G Elmes
Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450-0303
Phone: (540) 463-8836
FAX: (540) 463-8047
elmesd at <mailto:elmesd at>

Hello Roxanne,
        I work for Los Alamos National Laboratory and formerly on the
Science Education Team.  The old team is largely unfunded now, but there
remains some useful curriculum still on line at

Please note that not all the programs there are curriculum.  I can
particularly recommend the Faraday Candle Activities (still in draft form,
but good) at

and the Critical Issues Forum at

cif <>There may still be useful stuff on the
the EPSILON pages and the Web-of-Learning Pages as well.

In addition we have a book called Science at Home.  If you contact Rick
Alexander at alexander_rick at he can tell you how to get a copy.

And finally, there was a fantastic program called SWOOPE that was
pre-Internet.  The materials are now hard to come by but if you contact
Roger Eckhardt at rxe at I bet he could help you out.

I hope this helps, Dave...

Dave Alexander
Program Coordinator
Training and Development Group, Human Resources Division

"There is no objective reality out there waiting to reveal its secrets.
There are no recipes or formulae, no checklists or advice that describe
reality.  There is only what we create through our engagement with others
and with events."
        --  Margaret Wheatley

505.665.8194 - Direct
505.667.5247 - Training and Development Group Office
505.667.8625 - Facsimile

Los Alamos National Laboratory
P.O. Box 1663
HR-6/T&D,  MS M589
Los Alamos, NM   87545
These are two projects I have been involved with that she might find useful.

Karen <>

The Why Files has an interesting selection of science stories - not
oriented towards activities, but your friend might find it a useful
John E. Rebers
Department of Biology
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI  49855

jrebers at
906-227-1585; 906-227-1063 (FAX)
The American Chemical Society has a load of hands-on materials, from
booklets to prepackaged labs, under its "Kids and Chemistry" program.
Information can be found at

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr.               219-284-4662
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

It turns out that one of my former students is the coordinator of a program
at Pitt that is for science teachers.

Anyway, here is the web site for the outreach program at

Another site that is worth looking at is the Access Excellence.  It is more
bio oreinted, and dna science oriented, but there are lots of
	I'd check out the American Chemical Society at and look
for a
link to educational materials.  There's lots of stuff there and I hear it is
pretty good.  I haven't been desperate enough yet with my grade 13-20
to check out the materials, but I have thought about it.

	You might check out Juniata College' Science In Motion website at
	You will find the procedures for a number of chemistry and biology
experiments.  Many require specific instrumentation, but it might give you
some ideas.

Definately check out

Neurosciences For Kids.  Activities, games, etc.

Teresa A. Barber
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology
Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013-2896
e-mail: barber at
Phone: (717) 245-1641
Fax: (717) 245-1971

The American Chemical Society can provide a lot of information that might be
useful.  The core ACS web site may be reached at or (the latter is the most up to date address, but both
will work.  I have noted two specific pages on that site, but there are
other pages that could be useful.
In particular, click on the "Hands on Activities" button on the top. lists a variety of education resources.

Another useful site, which is not quite up to par yet, concerns safety, the
ACS Committee on Chemical Safety.  We expect the revised web page to be up
in a couple of weeks.  The address is .
Of particular interest is their newest publication "Chemical Safety for
Teachers and Their Supervisors, Grades 7-12".  The manual will be accessible
online in PDF format when the new web site is promoted, but in the meantime
I will have a copy sent to you.  Single copies are free, so if your former
student wants to order one, she can call 1-800-227-5558 and press 0 and tell
whoever answers the booklet she wants.  One can also email the ACS Office of
Society Services at oss at and order the booklet.

I hope this information helps.

Larry Funke

Lawrence A. Funke, Ph.D.
Staff Liaison 		  phone 202-872-6207
Committee on Chemical Safety 	  fax 202-872-6319
American Chemical Society 	  email L_Funke at
1155 -- 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036 	  office phone: 202-872-4481

Roxanne H. Fisher                                  rfisher at
Assistant Professor of Biology                  phone (412)365-1893
Chatham College                                     fax (412)365-1505
Woodland Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15232