water stress

Grant Cramer cramer at med.unr.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:26:13 EST 2001

> One of my botany students has chosen water stress and drought tolerance as
> a term paper topic.  I am feeling guilty about sending him off to write a
> paper on a topic for which I have given him little to no preparation, as my
> class does not include physiology.  Are there good sources that he can use
> on this topic without having extensive knowledge of plant water relations?
> I had hoped that the students would become exposed to primary literature,
> but I'm not sure he will be able to understand any of it.  Thanks for your
> help.
> Scott Shumway
> Associate Professor of Biology
> Dept. of Biology
> Wheaton College
> Norton, MA 02766
> 508-286-3945
> sshumway at wheatonma.edu
> fax 508-285-8278
> ---

I would recommend that your student start by reading the drought part of the
Abiotic Stress chapter in a Plant Physiology text or the new Biochemistry
and Molecular Biology text. After that they can probably understand the
primary literature much better.

Grant R. Cramer
Associate Professor
Department of Biochemistry