Mechanism for Mimosa leaf-curling?

gross at gross at
Tue Oct 2 11:06:40 EST 2001

 See Kameyama et al., 2000, Nature 407:37.  I believe the turgor changes
still occur but that the molecular process of bending is thought to be due
to decreased actin tyrosine-phosphorylation in the pulvinus.

Michael F. Gross, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Assistant Dean for Program Initiatives
Director, M.S. in Biology Program
Director, S. Mary Grace Burns Arboretum of Georgian Court College

Mailing Address:
Georgian Court College
900 Lakewood Ave
Lakewood, NJ  08701-2697

732 / 364 - 2200, ext. 373 (phone)
732 / 905 - 8571 (fax)
gross at

                    john_hewitson at breat
           (John            To:     plant-ed at
                    Hewitson)                 cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Mechanism for Mimosa leaf-curling?
                    owner-plant-ed at hgmp
                    10/02/01 11:40 AM

Hi Plant-edders,

In I explained the
mechanism behind the sensitive leaf curl of Mimosa in terms of change in
turgor pressure.

A member of the public has emailed me to suggest that the current
thinking is that it involves contractile proteins in the cytoskeleton.

Can you shed any light on this please?

Dr. John Hewitson
Science and Plants for Schools (SAPS)
Homerton College