wheat germ acid phosphatase

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Sun Sep 9 13:02:58 EST 2001

Hi all,

A brief look at the plant-ed archives
(http://www.bio.net/hypermail/PLANT-EDUCATION/) tells me there have been
more spam postings lately than legitimate conversations.  We can't do
much about the former (besides hit the delete button) but we can have
more of the latter...  Fire away!

This question came to me as I was writing a lab handout for a 1st-2nd
year cell/molecular course.  They are doing acid phosphatase assays:
characterization with respect to temperature and pH one week, and
kinetics the second week.  We're using Sigma's wheat germ acid
phosphatase which is optimally active at around pH 5.0.  If it was an
endosperm enzyme I would know that it's original location is irrelevant
since there is no cellular integrity in the endosperm and that all of it
is acidic during germination.  But it is called wheat "germ" acid
phosphatase meaning that it is in the embryo, right?  If so, does anyone
know what it's subcellular location is?  Being acidic, I have assumed it
was in cell walls and that it would probably function in taking apart
phosphorylated molecules diffusing out of the endosperm.  Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
Department of Biology, MSC 7801
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
office: 540-568-6649
fax: 540-568-3333
email: monroejd at jmu.edu
csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html