Antirrhinum genetics

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Fri Sep 21 00:06:42 EST 2001

I don't know why the snapdragon experiment doesn't work. In Mendel's
peas, the starch grain shape in smooth peas is different between
hetereozygotes (Rr) and homozygotes (RR) but the smooth pea seeds all
look the same macroscopically. There might also be detectable
differences in the sugar content. Maybe try improved disease resistant
cultivars versus unimproved susceptible cultivars or high vitamin
cultivars versus regular cultivars. Male and female individuals of the
same species often appear the same when out of flower but are
obviously different when in flower.

If you grew dwarf and normal cultivars of peas or corn and sprayed the
dwarfs with gibberellic acid, you would have two normal-size plants
but with two different genotypes. You could have the unsprayed dwarf
plant as a control to show the genetic difference.

Probably you will find some suitable plants pairs among all the
various mutants of Arabidopsis and Wisconsin Fast Plants. There is a
mutant Arabidopsis low in ascorbic acid which is very susceptible to
ozone, sulfur dioxide and ultraviolet B radiation compared to normal
ones.