spam

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon Sep 24 20:35:29 EST 2001

Plant-eders,

I was hoping the move of BIOSCI (http://net.bio.net/) to the UK in '99
and their attempt to electronically filter out spam would have done a
better job than this, but alas it hasn't.  We've discussed going to a
moderated format before and I think it is time to consider it again.  It
would mean that all messages sent to Plant-ed would come first to me (or
some other moderator) and then the moderator would forward all
legitimate messages to a secret BIOSCI address before they would go to
the list and to the archive.  An alternative to moderation at BIOSCI is
to move the entire list to a private listserve.  With a listserver there
would be no archiving or ability to search past messages, but it would
free someone of doing the moderation and the conversation might be a bit
more spontaneous.

If you feel strongly one way or another lets hear from you (up to a
point or this conversation will drive people away!)  After a few days of
discussion I will post a survey form with several options including no
change, moderation, or moving the group away from BIOSCI.

So don't bail out yet!

Jon
Plant-ed discussion co-leader

Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
Department of Biology, MSC 7801
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
office: 540-568-6649
fax: 540-568-3333
email: monroejd at jmu.edu
csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html