spam and private listserves

"KONING,ROSS E. Biology KONING at easternct.edu
Tue Sep 25 07:46:38 EST 2001

Hi Jon and fellow Plant-Ed subscribers,

I would like to share with you some thoughts as a private
listserver.

I serve a modest list on fern biology...perhaps 350 subscribers.
My list-server has not experienced much spam at all...I had
to step on a few subscribers who wanted to sell some ferns
or who wanted to sell some supplies for growing ferns. But
I have had no sex ads, no scam ads, no get-rich-quick ads.

The flip side of a private list is that someone must manage
it. My university refuses to host the list officially through its
information technologies center, so my server operates out of
a computer in my office. I have to handle all complaints about
"I cannot seem to subscribe" or "I cannot seem to unsubscribe,"
and these come a few per week (not too bad). I also have
to make sure that the server stays up 24/7 through natural
disaster power failures, maintenance-unannounced power
switches, and the usual computer crashes, viruses, and so on.
This effort is made easier by my list-server being a Macintosh...
it is immune to virtually all common viruses and worms. The
power-outage problem could be made easier if I had a budget
to install an uninterruptable power supply and a restart key
that operates remotely by modem.

I think if the plant-ed list is moving to a private list-serve, it might be
best if ASPB provided for the purchase of an non-Wintel server
(software and hardware) complete with the power-outage and
remote restarting hardware for Jon or whoever manages the
server.

I am NOT in favor of a moderated list. I think it is too much to ask
of anyone to sit and screen all day and forward in some "timely"
manner. It would be a tedious, frustrating, and thankless job and
not worthy of the effort. It is certainly not something I would have
a professor doing at a university. I would not even assign it to my
worst plant physiology undergrad hoping s/he might learn something
about plant physiology by reading our correspondence. It is just
inhumane treatment.

ross

Professor Ross E. Koning, PhD
Chapter President ECSU-AAUP