stay with Biosci

Robinson, Dr. David drobinson at
Tue Sep 25 11:03:10 EST 2001

Well, personally I like spam.

I think Plant-ed helps me keep in touch with new and interesting websites on
human sexuality, as well as the latest in entrepreneurial
opportunities.....isn't that in Plant-ed's charter or something?

Plus, when students visit my office I love to watch their eyes grow wide
when they glance at the Subject line of my emails. They don't look at me as
the campus nerd anymore!

Dave Robinson

-----Original Message-----
From: monroejd at [mailto:monroejd at]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 9:35 PM
To: plant-ed at
Subject: Re: spam

I was hoping the move of BIOSCI ( to the UK in '99
and their attempt to electronically filter out spam would have done a
better job than this, but alas it hasn't.  We've discussed going to a
moderated format before and I think it is time to consider it again.  It
would mean that all messages sent to Plant-ed would come first to me (or
some other moderator) and then the moderator would forward all
legitimate messages to a secret BIOSCI address before they would go to
the list and to the archive.  An alternative to moderation at BIOSCI is
to move the entire list to a private listserve.  With a listserver there
would be no archiving or ability to search past messages, but it would
free someone of doing the moderation and the conversation might be a bit
more spontaneous.

If you feel strongly one way or another lets hear from you (up to a
point or this conversation will drive people away!)  After a few days of
discussion I will post a survey form with several options including no
change, moderation, or moving the group away from BIOSCI.

So don't bail out yet!

Plant-ed discussion co-leader

Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
Department of Biology, MSC 7801