anti spam vote

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Sep 27 08:59:33 EST 2001

Hi Plant-eders,

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies to my question about how to
respond to spam on Plant-ed.  Some said moderating would be a burden,
but the idea of a retiree doing it was intriguing.  Several strongly
advocated for sticking with BIOSCI for the archiving/searching ability.
Many have responded privately to me that they want moderation.  For
example:

"Over the years I (and various friends) have used this discussion group.
It has tremendous potential.  But, the amount of spam is just ridiculous
and some of it is offensive.  Therefore, I support moderation."

I'm willing to serve as the moderator and, as I have said before, given
how often I check and read email, I really don't think it will be a
burden.  I'll let you know if it is and take appropriate steps -
assuming that is your collective wish.

Please reply to this email (send them to monroejd at jmu.edu, not to the
group) with an X in one of the lines below.  Regardless of the outcome I
hope you will stick with us and send more good messages to Plant-ed!

__ I want Plant-ed to stay as it is, unmoderated and with BIOSCI
(searchable archives and spam).

__ I want Plant-ed to be a moderated group (searchable archives but no spam).

__ I want Plant-ed to move to a private listserver (no archiving, no
searching, no spam).

Thanks very much.

Jon
Plant-ed discussion co-leader

Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
Department of Biology, MSC 7801
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
office: 540-568-6649
fax: 540-568-3333
email: monroejd at jmu.edu
csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html