protein targeting lab

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:15:21 EST 2002

Hi all,

I hope you are all off to good start this semester!  I'm (still)
developing labs for a sophomore-level cell and molecular biology course
and would I like to do something on protein targeting that would make
use of a compound fluorescence microscope.  What I am dreaming about is
using a strain of yeast carrying a GFP-tagged protein.  (yeast being a
'plant' in the historical sense :-)  Students might observe normal
targeting the first week and then design experiments to perturb it the
second week using environmental variables, drugs, or maybe even the
genetic background the gene is in.  Do any of you know of any lab
exercise like this?

Thanks.

Jon

 Jonathan D. Monroe                 Associate Professor
 Department of Biology, MSC 7801   office: 540-568-6649
 James Madison University             fax: 540-568-3333
 Harrisonburg, VA 22807         email: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html