DNA-ase

Barry Meatyard B.T.Meatyard at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 12:15:24 EST 2002

Dear Plant Edders,

I've picked up an enquiry from another list that I'm involved with
concerning the location of DNA-ase enzymes in cells. When extracting DNA
from eukaryotes we always take precautions to reduce DNA-ase activity (high
temp, chelating agents etc). This implies that on disruption the DNA is
exposed to contact with degrading enzymes which in the intact cell it is
not. So where are DNA-ases located in the intact cell? Are they membrane
bound? Under what circumstances would they be 'let out of the bag'? What is
their normal in vivo function?

I've tried a couple of molecular biology texts but the main thrust of their
treatment of DNA-ases is their use in vitro.

Thanks,

Barry

Dr.Barry Meatyard
Environmental Sciences Research and Education Unit
Warwick Institute of Education
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL