position at Bradley University

Kelly McConnaughay kdm at hilltop.bradley.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:20:26 EST 2002

Visiting Instructor/Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
with opportunities for Undergraduate Research Mentoring

Bradley University Biology Department has a full-time position at the
Instructor or Assistant Professor level for a 9-month period beginning
August 19, 2002.  Duties will include teaching one upper level course
each semester and participating in introductory or general education
courses.  Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to involve
undergraduates in research as part of their assigned teaching load.
Typical teaching loads are 12 contact hours per semester, or 9 contact
hours per semester plus supervising undergraduate research.
Qualifications include a minimum of a graduate degree (Ph.D. preferred)
in a biological science, and a commitment to undergraduate teaching.
Expertise in some aspect of plant biology is desirable.

The Biology Department consists of 10 faculty members, one full-time
secretary, and one full-time laboratory coordinator.  We offer
undergraduate degrees in Biology, Pre-professional Biology,
Environmental Science, Molecular Biology, and Secondary
Education-Biology, and a Master of Science degree in Biology.  Our
curriculum stresses excellence in teaching and shared student-faculty
scholarship, both in and out of the classroom.  We strongly encourage
applicants interested in involving undergraduates in research.  Summer
or interim teaching is not required, but is available for extra
compensation.

The Department of Biology occupies one floor of the Olin Hall of Science
(approx. 25,000 square feet) and has approximately 6000 square feet of
research laboratory space, a seminar/reading room and a meeting room as
well as many classrooms and lecture halls.  Common facilities include a
greenhouse, an animal room, and an herbarium.  The University is in the
final stages of a major capital improvement project to expand and
renovate Olin Hall.  Occupation of new space began Fall 2001 and project
is estimated to be completed in late Spring of 2002.

For the past 3 years, the Biology Department has hosted an NSF Research
Experiences for Undergraduates Site program which is currently pending
renewal.  Descriptions of this program, our faculty, our students, and
our recent departmental highlights are available at our departmental
website (http://www.bradley.edu/academics/las/bio/).

For consideration, send letter of interest, CV, transcripts, and have
three letters of reference sent to Dr. Kelly McConnaughay, Department of
Biology, Bradley University, Peoria, IL 61625.  Applicant screening will
begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Bradley University is an EEO-AA employer, and encourages applications
from underrepresented groups.

For additional information regarding the position or the department,
contact Kelly McConnaughay at (309) 677-3018 or kdm at bradley.edu.