greenhouse managers

Wil Taylor taylorwa at uwec.edu
Wed Feb 27 17:45:46 EST 2002

Hello all,

We are in the process of writing a position description to replace our
current greenhouse manager.  The position will likely be 75% greenhouse
management and 25% oversight of the animal care facility.  I have several
questions.

1) What is the state of your current greenhouse management?  Do you have a
full time position?

2) If the person in this position has other duties, what are they and how
much time/week do they consume?

3) What is the size of your facility?

4) What type of training does your manager have?

5) Where would you suggest we go about advertising a position of this sort?

The current debate centers around whether the person should have a 2 year
associate's degree, a 4 year degree in hort. or be master's level.  One of
the principal responsibilities will be to give tours to about 1500
visitors/year.  I would like someone who is as knowledgable about plants as
possible.

Feedback greatly appreciated.  On or off list.

Cheers,

Wil Taylor