Phloem-carbohydrate assay

Geeta Bharathan geeta at life.bio.sunysb.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:45:52 EST 2002

I got this from a friend who has worked on phloem proteins in cucurbits:
--Geeta

We collected phloem proteins which are
abundantly present in cucurbits.  The p-protein PP1
gels when exposed to oxygen and makes it difficult to
harvest phloem exudate.  For a carbohydrate assay I
would choose a plant with less phloem proteins and
avoid cucurbits.

Karin Jacobsen

On 27 Feb 2002, Bill Williams wrote:

> Dear Plant-Eders,
>
> We've just incorporated a phloem carbohydrate-analysis unit to our
> introductory biology sequence. Students cut off six-week cucurbit
> leaves, collect the exudate into micro-capillary tubes, and use
> anthrone reagent to test for total carbohydrates, comparing against
> sucrose standards using Sequoia-Turner spectrophotometers. It worked
> (although only after we changed from water to 60% ethanol for
> diluting our exudate and making our standards), but the students had
> great difficulty getting enough exudate. Does anyone know tricks for
> increasing the amount of exudate? Are there particular species or
> varieties that work better than others? Tricks about light/dark
> cycles or time of day or watering regimes or something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Williams
> --
> ________________________