Facility for downloading books?

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 14 21:10:36 EST 2002

>I am told that some universities in the United States store books (other
>than periodicals) 'online' and make these available for download, in whole
>or in part, for payment of an appropriate fee. If you have experience of
>this system, or information about it, I would be most grateful if you would
>care to share it.
>
>David Walker
>
>---
David,
This is being done by many university libraries in the US but I'm not sure
of the details of payment of royalties, etc.  Librarians call it
"electronic reserves."  My impression is that they put on a book chapter to
some other portion of a text but do not put the entire book unless it is no
longer protected by copyright.

You might be able to learn more about this by searching "electronic
reserves" on the web or by talking with your librarians.  I'm sure the
librarians are doing this in a way that is legal or at least presumed to be
legal.  The practice is quite widespread and I doubt that so many would be
doing it if it were not legal.

David Kramer

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu