GMOs

Scott Shumway sshumway at wheatonma.edu
Mon Jan 21 09:14:13 EST 2002

I have found the following web site for the Pew Initiative on Food and
Biotechnology to be very informative.
www.Pewagbiotech.org

NPR's All Things Considered features segments on biotechnology and it is
possible to download them from the NPR website for your students to listen
to.    Interesting topics from the past year include ecoterrorism at a U.
Washington research facility and seed company (Monsanto?) attempts at
engineering suicide genes into crops to prevent farmers from harvesting
seeds to plant next year.

At 4:22 AM +0000 1/15/02, Jon Monroe wrote:
>Hi Plant-eders,
>
>I'm teaching a course on GMOs (mostly plants) for non-biology majors
>this semester and I would like some eye-catching numbers.  I'm wondering
>if any of you know how many (or what proportion of) drugs currently used
>in western medicine are obtained from GMOs (e.g. human insulin).  I know
>the number is probably large these days but I would like to know how
>large... Thanks.
>
>Jon

>Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
>Department of Biology, MSC 7801
>James Madison University
>Harrisonburg, VA 22807
>office: 540-568-6649
>fax: 540-568-3333
>email: monroejd at jmu.edu
>csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html

Scott Shumway
Associate Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biology
Wheaton College