BA in lanolin

Vilem Reinoehl rein at mendelu.cz
Tue Jan 29 03:29:03 EST 2002

nkirkpatrick at gw.lssu.edu ("Nancy Kirkpatrick") wrote in message news:<a2hp5p$htp$1 at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>...
> My students will be doing Carol Reiss' expt.  on apical dominance this
> semester.  It calls for 1.5 mM 6-benzylaminopurine in lanolin.  I can't
> find it in the Carolina or Sigma catlogs.  Can anyone tell me how much
> lanolin to use if I mix it up myself?   Thanks in advance. --Nancy
>

> Nancy S. Kirkpatrick, Ph.D.
> Biology Department
> Lake Superior State University
> 650 West Easterday Avenue
> Sault Sainte Marie, MI  49783
> (906) 635-2894; FAX: (906) 635-2266
> nkirkpatrick at gw.lssu.edu

BA has MW 225, so you need 337,5 mg for preparation of 100 ml. I
recommend you to dissolve BA in little 15% KOH in distilled water and
mix it into lanolin melted in a water bath (about 60 0C). I dont know
the Reiss4 experiment, but I suppose you will need also IAA lanolin
paste. In this case I can recommend 1% IAA, because this concentration
will safely restore apical dominance applied on the stump of
decapitated pea plants. Dissolve the IAA in a small amount of ethanol
and mix it into melted lanolin (do not heat excessively, because IAA
would decompose).

Dr. Vilem Reinohl, PhD.
Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry
Dept. of Botany and Plant Physiology
Zemedelska 1
613 00 Brno
Czech Republic