Traditional methods for extraction of salicylic acid

Anne Lubbers lubbers at centre.edu
Thu Jun 6 07:51:59 EST 2002

A colleague of mine and I would like to develop an investigatory style
lab on aspirin for our non-science majors Natural Sciences course
sequence.  We are considering having the students extract salicylic acid
from willow twigs, perhaps comparing concentrations in extracts from
different plant tissues (twigs, leaves), or maybe different species,
using HPLC. Another comparison might be effectiveness of different
extraction techniques (time, temperature, or solvents, etc).
We are wondering if any of you have had experience with this,
particularly the extraction techniques traditionally used before the
advent of modern medicine.

--
Anne E. Lubbers, Associate Professor of Biology
Centre College

Phone:  859 238-5321
FAX:    859 236-7925
e-mail: lubbers at centre.edu