Bryophyllum plants and animals

Bill Williams WEWilliams at smcm.edu
Mon Nov 4 17:25:34 EST 2002

At 1:40 AM +0000 11/2/02, Janice M. Glime wrote:
>Unfortunately, something can be both an animal name and a plant name; for
>example, Ephemerella is a mayfly and also a moss.  I have found other
>examples but can't remember them.  The two sets of nomenclature are
>independent, unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of.
>
>Janice

Yes, every time the International Botanical Congress gets together to
update the "International Code of Botanical Nomenclature," they
discuss what they call "harmonization," which means bringing plant
and animal taxonomy into "harmony." I think they usually discuss and
reject it as impractical or somesuch. My recollection is that there
are all kinds of disharmonies (dissonances?) at many different levels
of the naming hierarchies, not simply plant and animal genera with
the same names.

-W2
William E. Williams WEWilliams at smcm.edu
Biology Department
Saint Mary's College of Maryland

Academic year 2002-2003:
c/o Dr. Marilyn Ball
RSBS
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia
Phone: (02) 6125 4405 (international +61 2 6125 4405)
FAX: (02) 6125 5095 (international +61 2 6125 5095)