Marine Botany Course

Scott Shumway sshumway at wheatonma.edu
Fri Nov 8 12:01:17 EST 2002

I once asked subscribers to PlantEd for help finding a textbook for a
course entitled "Freshwater and Marine Botany". The course description will
read "Taxonomy, ecology, evolution, and economics of cyanobacteria, algae,
and plants inhabiting freshwater and marine ecosystems.  Lake, estuary,
rocky intertidal, open ocean, kelp bed, seagrass, salt marsh, and mangrove
ecosystems will be studied.  Labs will include collecting trips to local
lakes, estuaries, salt marsh, and beaches as well as culture and
microscopic examination of algae.  Three hours lecture and discussion,
three hours laboratory per week. "

I would very much like suggestions for lab exercises , lab manuals (doubt
published ones exist and would appreciate copies of any custonized
manuals), or protocols for labs.

The response to my request for textbook suggestions was not overwhelming!
Here's what I have pieced together from your replies and my own searching:

Graham, L and Wilcox, L. 2000. Algae. Prentice-Hall.  - This is very
thorough and up to date, especially with the taxonomy.  This is definitely
for an upper level course.  It is designed to be a cutting edge text on
algal biology.  I think that it is more than my undergraduate students
could handle, particularly given the broad focus of my course.  Lavishly
illustrated in black and white photographs, micrographs, and line drawings.
Would it hurt to include a little color...after all they are frequently
called "reds, greens, browns..."

Sze, P. 1998. A Biology of the Algae. 3rd ed.  WC Brown / McGraw-Hill.
- A
slightly less technical and less comprehensive treatment.  I used an
earlier edition when I was last a student in an algae course 15 years ago.
I will use this text in my new class and supplement heavily with original
literature.  Well illustrated with some color plates in the center.

Bold, H and Wynne, M.  1985.  Introduction to the Algae. Prentice-Hall. -
Printed "as needed" by the publisher.  The taxonomy is likely to be out of
date.  Students would find the b&w artwork uninspiring.

Dawes, C. 1998. Marine Botany. Wiley. - The content fits well with my
proposed course.  However, I don't think my undergraduate students would
enjoy the text.  The material is summarized too succinctly for students
with little or no background in the field.  Color photos are lacking.  I
don't have the book in front of me, but I recall the illustrations not
being very appealing.  It is also expensive.  $100+

Dring, M. 1992. The Biology of Marine Plants. Cambridge U. Press. -
Contains much ecophysiology, but little taxonomy.  Perhaps better for upper
level students who are familiar with the various algal phyla.

Prescott, G. 1978. How to know the freshwater algae. WCB McGraw-Hill.  -
This may be useful for keying out algae in the lab.  I have yet to try it.
Ilustrated with line drawings.

I hope this is helpful.

Scott

Scott Shumway