General botany courses

Christine Maxwell cmaxwell at trentu.ca
Mon Nov 11 08:05:46 EST 2002

Dear Plant-edders,

For a number of years I have been giving a "Biology of Plants" course at
the second year level at Trent. It is basically an introductory full
year (24 weeks) course, covering the plant kingdom, but including
cyanobacteria, algae and fungi, along with some anatomy, and a six week
section of plant physiology. I have been very happy with the course
material, and the preparation it gives students for upper year botany
courses.

Two of us have been teaching the course, but have been asked (told!) to
make the course into two 12 week half courses. The dilemma we face is
that under the present system, it takes us 14-16 weeks to reach the
flowering plants. Clearly the course does not split easily into two
parts.  I would be interested in knowing how others have or would divide
material into two 12 week sessions. We plan on using the same text
(Raven, Evert and Eichorn) for both halves, and perhaps making the first
half a prerequisite for the second.

The other problem will be finding titles for the courses.

We would welcome any advice.
Christine.