soil water

Karl Kleiner kkleiner at
Sat Oct 26 11:09:59 EST 2002


Try checking out a company called Decagon (
They have a water potential instrument called True Psi that can measure
the water potential of soil, leaves, seeds, whatever. Price ranges is
around $3500-4000. I don't own one, but have considered it in the past.


Carl Pike wrote:
> Can someone give me some advice on instruments that could be used
> readily in an undergraduate plant physiology course to measure soil
> water potential or moisture content.  My only experience is which
> vapor pressure osmometers, which seem to be too complex for a typical
> undergraduate lab course.  What other types of instruments are there
> - that could be used on a potted plant and/or in the field to measure
> soil water status.  Any information on suitability for undergrad lab,
> specifications, manufacturers, and price would be appreciated.
> Thanks   Carl
> ---

Karl Kleiner
Assistant Professor of Biology
Department of Biological Sciences
York College of Pennsylvania
York, PA  17405
(717) 815-1754 - Phone
(717) 849-1653 - FAX
kkleiner at

More information about the Plant-ed mailing list