taxonomy

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Thu Oct 31 10:44:47 EST 2002

  Although there are clear rules for naming plant phyla, intro textbooks
have been using a variety of names that do not follow the rules.  For
higher classification categories, the type concept is recommended, but not
required.  One has the choice of a valid descriptive name or one based on
the type genus (i.e., the earliest validly published genus in that group).
Hence, Dinoflagellata is descriptive, but has the wrong ending.
Pyrrhophyta is likewise descriptive; both names have been used
extensively.
  Unfortunately, I don't know the type genus for this group.  I am unaware
of a genus Pyrrhos or one called Dinos, and I suspect neither is the true
type-based name.  Bold uses Pyrrhophyta.  I cringe at the use of Dinophyta
because it has not been in common usage, is no more descriptive than the
other two names you mention, and does not appear to be based on a type
genus.  If it is indeed based on a type genus, then I am happy to have the
name, but if not, it is superfluous.  Perhaps someone familiar with the
marine members knows of such a genus.  I think it is safe to say the issue
of "accepted" names of higher plant and algae categories has not been
settled and that valid publications typifying the higher categories are
missing in most cases.  Fortunately, the nomenclature committee seems to
be working on the issue.
Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences