laminar flow hood

lee hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Fri Sep 6 10:29:10 EST 2002

We have one [Environmental Air Control, Inc] that has served us very
well for
20 years, but there are some things to consider, especially looking back over
our experience.
1.  Will you be working with non-pathogenic material only?   [And if so, would
any of the cultures your students go into have any mold in them inadvertently,
making them potential health risks?]
2.  What footprint dimensions can you accommodate now and in the future?
  Our
hood is in a lab which 20 years ago had 5-8 students max at a time in that
room.  Now, with our enrollment mushrooming in general and in biology in
particular, the lab table space taken by the hood would allow us to spread
seating out more.  But we don't have a better place for it.  Ours is probably
bigger than needed, especially since only one student uses it at a time.
 It
does allow for two at a time, but the contamination problems increase
and it's
not worth it.
3.  Check the price and availability of replacement HEPA filters.  [Commonly
available sizes or more "proprietary" for your unit?]   We don't need to
change ours frequently, fortunately, especially with some additional  pre-HEPA
filters we added to what came with the unit.  And I am careful not to
let it
run needlessly.
4. If its primary use is in a teaching lab, is there good visibility for
students to observe whomever is working at the hood without getting in
the way
or creating air currents around the opening?
5.  Cost effectiveness of new vs used [in good condition] and size
relative to
space availability.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't change anything regarding ours except where
I put it to begin with, if there were a better and unoccupied place.
Temporary becomes permanent.

Lee Hadden
Wingate University
Wingate, NC  28174