spectronic 20

Gary Cote gcote at radford.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:12:03 EST 2003

Roxanne,
I use Spec 20D's in Cell Biology.  The D is for digital.  I've found
them
quite tough and reliable.  The digital readout is easy for students to
understand and read, although getting the blank to exactly 0 drives them
nuts.  They look nicer in the business gray with the angles compared to
the
old  Caucasian-flesh-colored curvy things (my subjective opinion).

Watch out what wavelengths you want to use.  We measure a lot of
absorbances at long wavelengths (500-600), and you need to be sure to
get
special filters for that.

Also, be careful when mixing spectrophotometers.  Every semester it
seems,
someone will stick a square cuvette into Spec-20D's round hole.

>Dear plant-ed folks:
>
>Have any of you used a spectronic 20?  What did you think?  Our spec 20's
>are wearing out and we need replacements.  The spectronic 20 is in the
>Carolina catalogue in two versions, one looks like the old spec 20 and the
>has a digital read-out.
>
>Roxanne

>Roxanne H. Fisher                                  rfisher at chatham.edu
>Assistant Professor of Biology                  phone (412)365-1893
>Chatham College                                     fax (412)365-1505
>Woodland Road
>Pittsburgh, PA 15232
>

>---

Dr. Gary Coté